Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Zen gardening

Do you know the little Japanese Zen-gardens you always get as a gift from a soon-to-be-ex-oh-so-funny-friend or family member? The gift always comes with some bogus line on how you have everything you need except for peace and harmony. Oh come-on... You've been there. Or worse, you got somebody a gift like that. In which case I say to you: May sand grains (g)rain upon you, and let there be no peace or harmony until you handpicked them from between your long pine carpet. There. See how Zen you'll be after that.

But there is some truth to this Zen gardening thing. I know because I made myself a personal Zen garden. Not with sand grains that need raking in some kind of intricate Tangram or Haiku design. But a garden with actual fruit and veggies. A mini-Eden with a few plants here and there of this and that, because I get embarrassed when I need to go on weekly coffee visits to friends in order distribute broccoli, zucchini, and turnip (which I used to hand over while whispering something about peace and harmony). I'm ready to get Zenish.

So in celebration of the Harvesting of Zendarins, Zenatoes and Zencchinis:



Can you feel it?
Now excuse me, I have to go yell at Paint for not doing what I want it to do.

2 comments:

  1. Yelling at Paint.. very Zen :)
    But wow on the whole gardening thing though. Plants just generally tend to die on me out of spite for eating their bits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, but I am a Zen student. Learn you have to.

    There not *yet* dying, due to an overly active sprinkler system. But to my credit, even my inside orchid is not dying on me. Despite my scheme of squashing 50 percent (being 1) of its leaves between the window and the window frame. Ahum. But apparently this is the way you have to treat them, because it miraculously made two more leaves after this incident.

    ReplyDelete