Saturday, March 19, 2011

Parenting, problems and plumbers

You might think I have all the answers concerning parenting issues, me being a child psychologist (orthopedagoog) and all. At least that's what I hear sometimes. Well... you thought wrong. I wrestle with parenting issues just as much as my plumber does. I think. I'm actually not sure if I have a plumber. And should I have one, I don't know if he has children. But let's say I do and he does, for the sake of argument.
Although my education may have provided me with the theoretical answers to every parenting question in the book -and I sincerely doubt that-, putting the theory to practice is something else altogether. You could argue I got to turn theory into practice during my internship. But they never gave me my kids while I was an intern. It's easy to know what you are supposed to do when it isn't your own child you're talking about. Sleep issues with your baby? Page 25. Eating problems? Page, 30, 56, 89, 110 (a returning issue). Potty training for toddlers? Page 112. Terrible two's? Page 304-506 (a long, long chapter). But there isn't anything in the book about the sleep issues of my little one, potty training my toddler, not to mention the rules and regulations of managing my son's terrible two's. My children don't live by the book, they write the book. With colorful crayons.

Isn't it strange that people tend to think that you're such a great parent based on the notion that you are a child psychologist? You never hear people mention the same thing to surgeons, right? "Oh, isn't that handy being a surgeon. That way, when your child brakes his knee jumping from the swing, you can always operate on him". No, cause they are not allowed to operate on members of their own family, on account of their emotions interfering with their skills. But they don't say anything like that when you get your child psychology degree. So, I would argue that parenting is actually more difficult for me than for my hypothetical plumber. Firstly, he's not bothered by all the theoretical baggage and just tinkers about. Secondly, even if he wouldn't know how to raise his children, he can always rely on his plumbing skills being useful around the house. And last...he doesn't have my children. But I love my children, all their problems and issues included. Because at the end of the day I always get that overwhelming feeling of love when they lie in bed, snuggle up to me and say "mommy, I love you". That or "I did a little fart". Either way, my heart melts.

*disclaimer:
My children are actually not that difficult. They eat reasonably well, they sleep a lot, tantrums consists of mild screaming fits with an occasional foot pounding and potty training was a one-week struggle although we're still working on number 2. That doesn't mean it's easy peasy though.
**disclaimer:
It has to be mentioned that my area of expertise is not in parenting issues, but developmental disorders. So, the point is moot.

No comments:

Post a Comment