Friday, January 21, 2011

Sabbatical

So, since I'm not allowed to work yet, I will regard this time as a sabbatical. Now I know I might be a tad young for a sabbatical, but there's no time like the present. But what are you supposed to do whilst on sabbatical? Most colleagues on sabbatical often seemed to be where they used to be... at their workplace that is. Some google-research taught me that sabbaticals are used to achieve a certain goal. So in pursuit of my goals, I made myself the following list:

1. keep updated on subjects related to my workfield. - in process
I've enrolled in an ADOS-workshop for clinicians. For those of you unfamiliar with psychological tests, the ADOS is a major instrument designed to diagnose autism. It's also an instrument which requires a certificate, and yep, I'm getting myself one! That means that I will fly over to L.A. in March, and spend two days there. Other workfield related activities on my wishlist: ADI-R training (also an instrument used to diagnose autism), a specialized program on neuropsychological assessment at Berkeley, and a specialized program on child and adolescent treatment (also at Berkeley). Oh, and I've ordered some psychology books from Amazon for further studying.

2. finish writing the two children's books I've started on a year ago - will start on this as soon as Kwint goes to daycare
Finally, I've got some time to get reacquainted with my creative strike, after it had been bludgeoned to death by writing scientific papers. It's coming back with a vengeance.


3. cook, cook, cook - definitely in process
Our week schedule has had some changes. Lucas attends preschool for two days a week en has 'hot lunches' on site. On those evenings, we've switched lunch and dinner, meaning that we eat bread in the evening. What it actually boils down to is that I bake lots of nice (and healthy) things. On the other days, food consists mostly of home-made Indian or Korean origin. And of course I still bake my own bread, which is still improving. No imploding breads anymore.

4. rigorous exercise to get fit again - 'work' in process
This is something I've been wanting to do for the last ten years. Now, I actually enjoy this. But only if I can read the golden oldies at the same time (Emma by Jane Austen, Great expectations by Charles Dickens). Strange combination isn't it? But it works.

5. write some scientific papers and further develop tests in cooperation with colleagues. - will start on this as soon as Kwint goes to daycare


So for those of you afraid that I don't have anything to do, thou need not fear! The most likely risk I'm running is that I will like this whole sabbatical-thing too much.

4 comments:

  1. kben wel benieuwd hoe je fit wil worden en ondertussen boeken leest... volgens mij kun je dat pas als je al fit bent (hometrainer met een boek erop ;-)... ik overweeg een mp3 hardloopcursus, maar ik vind het nogal wat...
    Misschien toch maar weer eens die wii afstoffen...
    En verder: ik ben heel benieuwd naar je kinderboeken, je gezonde baksels (het lijken toch echt op chocolade muffins) en die koreaanse en indiase keuken... Ik geloof dat wij alleen maar jullie lasagne en pannenkoeken mochten proeven!
    (en wat dat wetenschappelijke gedoe betreft, ik blijf een gezellige alfa die in de cultuursectorwerkt, dus dat begrijp ik allemaal niet ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. nee, het zijn oatmeal muffins. Compleet gezond. En natuurlijk zijn jullie altijd welkom voor een etentje...het is maar 11 uur vliegen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drukke week gehad met ziektes en bezoek. Writing as we speak...

    ReplyDelete