Sunday, January 16, 2011

(S)melancholy

Do you know that melancholic feeling whenever you smell something that reminds you of your past? Our five senses seem to have strong ties with our emotions, especially our sense of smell. It's this sense that is phyiscally closest to the limbic system which in turn is connected to both memory and emotion. So there you go, I've yet another pseudo-scientific blog for you. Apparently, connections between smell, emotions and memory go back to before you were born. So that must mean that my mom loved dingy cellars, for I love the smell of those. I say this lovingly, for I've had many feelings of melancholy last month, upon smelling her laundry detergent in my clothes. There's just one problem....no more clothes that have been washed by her.

No comments:

Post a Comment